Monday, June 27, 2011

White Texas Sheet Cake

I know the majority of my blog is filled with everything chocolate..and I don't apologize for it!  But I was feeling a little bad for my man who is a lover of white/yellow cake.  I discovered this recipe on Life as a Lofthouse and it has become the white cake base for everything I bake.  I love the almond flavor in this one.  I have to warn you though, the frosting it very sweet!  I will use a cup less of confectioners sugar the next time.  But if you love the sweet then by all means, have at it!

Moist and delicious!


A sheet cake feeds an army!


For the cake
1 cup of butter
1 cup of water
2 cup of flour
2 cups of sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup of sour cream
1 teaspoon of almond extract
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt

For the frosting 
1/2 cup of butter
1/4 cup of milk
4 1/2 cups of confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract 
Food coloring if desired
Sprinkles 

Preheat oven to 375.  Spray a 15x10x1 baking sheet with nonstick spray.

In a small/medium sauce pan bring butter and water to a boil.
In a large mixing bowl combine flour and sugar. Whisk to combine.
Add eggs, sour cream, almond extract, baking soda and salt.  Stir until combined.  
Slowly pour in the butter/water mixture.  Stir with a  spatula until smooth.
Pour into prepared baking sheet and cook for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack for 10-20 minutes before frosting. 

For the frosting
In a large saucepan bring the butter and water to a boil.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and extract.  Stir until smooth.
Add food coloring if desired.
Pour over warm cake.  
Decorate with sprinkles for a little sparkle! 




2 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad you loved the cake as much as we did : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha Holly! Mahalo for stopping by. I just used the cake base to make a two tier with pudding and chocolate ganache. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete